My late grandmother used to make magic in the kitchen. She never really needed much but she always managed to make the most amazing food and treats for us. I will never forget how we would spend every Sunday at her house just waiting in anticipation for her to come out of the kitchen bearing her homemade treats; like her most amazing koeksusters, pumpkin fritters, banana loaf, vermicilli, fruit cake… Oh my gosh, the list could go on forever! When I got a little older I would stand and watch her and try my best to take down all the recipes, which she knew off-by-heart perfectly to the teaspoon. One of the recipes I was lucky to get my hands on was her amazing banana loaf recipe. I cannot keep track of the number of times I have used it, and it has not failed me yet. The loaf always comes out so flavourful and moist and never makes it till the end of the week. It’s been over two years now that my gran is late, but it somehow feels as if she lives on through her recipes. So here it is, I hope you all enjoy it! Don’t forget to post pictures of your banana loaf, and tag me!
2/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened (55g)
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease bread pan (spray ‘n cook)
- Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add beaten eggs and mashed banana and mix through.
- Mix flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
- Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in cup of cold milk.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture into bread pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Once the loaf springs back when pressed down it should be ready. Make sure to keep an eye on it as it tends to become dry if baked for too long.
*Optional: You can add chopped almonds (or any nuts of your preference) on top or mix it into the batter, as well as layer sliced banana on top of the loaf before baking.
3 thoughts on “My Gran’s Amazing Banana Loaf Recipe”
Thanks for sharing this with us Gwen! We look forward to the next one…
Love your yummy recipe 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you 😊🙏🏼
LikeLiked by 1 person